Holy Cross Service FAQ
- Do I have to use an agency listed on the wesite? Hide
The school website has a list of possible agencies where students need to make their own personal contacts. Students will be expected to work with people who fit the description for each year's core project. All service must be done at community, school or church agencies or organizations that place the student in direct contact with people in need. All hours must be "hands on" work directly with people in need who are not friends, relatives or neighbors.
- What are extra hours? Hide
Extra hours are any hours you accumulate beyond your required hours. These hours can be served either before or after your deadline and do not have to be "in direct contact" with any group of people. These hours are any volunteer work served outside of the Saint Francis Community. In order to document these hours you still need to turn in your online and service form verification. Please see Brother Eamon Schaffer certificate for Saint Francis recognition of 100 hours of service completed within a school year.
- When do my hours need to be completed? Hide
All students must have their projects completed by the designated date. Please see Holy Cross Service Program Due Dates for detailed description of consquences to turning in service hours after the deadline.
- What happens if I don't finish my project before the end of the school year? Hide
If students have not completed their Christian Service Projects by the due date Campus Ministry will meet with the student and give him/her a letter outlining the penalties for late service. This letter must be signed by the parent and student and returned to Campus Ministry within 2 days of receipt.
First Level Penalties
- Incomplete hours will be doubled (i.e. if the student has completed four hours out of ten – the six incomplete hours are doubled to 12 hours).
- The student will serve three hours of detention
- The student will have ten days from the date of the meeting in Campus Ministry, to finish the doubled hours
Second Level Penalties
- Students with incomplete service hours after the ten-day delinquent period will be suspended from school for one day.
- Seniors must complete 20 hours with economically poor before final exams in order to graduate.
- Freshman, sophomores and juniors must finish the doubled incomplete hours before the 1st day of final exams.
Third Level Penalties
- Freshman, sophomores and juniors who fail to complete their hours by the first day of finals will automatically be enrolled in the Campus Ministry summer service program at a cost of $100.
- All hours will be doubled (i.e. 10 = 20, 15 = 30) and must be conducted with the core group (i.e. freshman with developmentally disabled, sophomores with children etc)
- All hours must be completed in order to return to Saint Francis in the fall semester.
- The student will be assigned a two-page reflection paper and a meeting will be scheduled with the student and a Campus Ministry representative before the student returns to school.
- How far in advance can I do my hours? Hide
Hours may be accumulated for the next school year any time after final exams. Hours accumulated after the deadline of the current year and prior to final exams will count towards the current school year. Remember each year has it's own minimum/maximum number of hours for credit Freshman (15), Sophomores (10), Juniors (15) and Seniors (10).
- Will working with a friend or relative who is in need count towards my requirement? Hide
No. All hours must be "hands on" work directly with people in need who are not friends, relatives or neighbors. All service must be done at community, school or church agencies or organizations that place the student in direct contact with people in need.
- May I receive credit for service done through organizations like Scouts or National Charity League? Hide
You may receive credit if the service involves work at a community, school or church agency or organization that places the student in direct contact with people in need. All hours must be "hands on" work directly with people in need who are not friends, relatives or neighbors.
- May I get credit for working on fundraising activities, political campaigns or with animals? Hide
The only way to receive credit toward your "required" hours is to work in direct contact with your designated group of people in need. You may receive credit for "extra" hours.
- If I do 50 hours of service in my freshman year will my service hours be complete? Hide
No. Students have a required set of hours they must complete at each grade level. Freshman (15), Sophomores (10), Juniors (15) and Seniors (10).
- Do I get extra credit for extra hours? Hide
There is no extra credit. There will be recognition of students who have completed more than 100 hours in a year. (please see Brother Eamon Schaffer Certificate).