All service hours fulfilling the graduation requirement will be with one target community. The goal of this change is to enhance a students service experience by providing them with more continuity. This may also provide consistency for the organizations in the community where our students serve.
- All Service must be conducted at community, school or church agencies or organizations that place the student in direct contact, working with people in need.
- Working to serve friends, family or neighbors does not meet the graduation requirements set forth by Saint Francis High School.
- Students will not be excused during the school day to complete service.
- All service must be conducted away from the school campus.
The Holy Cross Service Program is a Saint Francis High School graduation requirement. As such, we must verify completion of the required hours for every student. The following guidelines are used for the verification process
- Students are required to enter their service records into the online service verification system. The system provides students visibility of their hours at any time.
- Verification of completed service is turned into Campus Ministry on the completed "Holy Cross Christian Service Verification Form."
- All forms must be accompanied by a business card or official document from the agency or organization - this cannot be a printout from the website. A leter from the agency or organization where the student worked is also acceptable. If this is missing, the verification is not complete and credit is not given.
- Service hours may be completed during the summer prior to the current school year.
- Service timetable for the 2014-15 school year is May 24, 2014 thru May 21, 2015
- Students must call in advance for an appointment. Students must abide by the agency's rules or the student may be denied credit.
Required Hours: 10 hours of service working with economically poor
Required Hours: 15 hours working with elderly
Required Hours: 10 hours working with developmentally disabled people
*A developmental disability is a severe, chronic disability that is manifested before a person reaches age 22 and results in substantial functional limitations in at least 3 of the following areas: self care, receptive and expressive language, learning, mobility, self-direction, capacity for independent living, and economic self-sufficiency.
Required Hours: 15 hours teaching ministry with children pre-school through 8th grade