Ensuring the health, safety and well being of our students is paramount to our educational mission. As parents, you entrust your students to our care every day, and we take this responsibility seriously. With the many complexities of the world today, we want you to know that we provide a safe and welcoming campus environment for all students.
As a school, it is important to reassure you that the safety of our students is of primary importance to us. At the start of each school year, we practice several emergency drills with our students, including a full-school evacuation and a lockdown drill for an intruder on campus. As parents, it is important that you be aware of how we prepare for different crises and safety issues on campus:
- We have several disaster plans and drills that we practice. With construction on campus and portable classroom and offices this school year, we have modified our plans and created new evacuation routes to accommodate those changes.
- Emergency professionals have reviewed our emergency plans and trained our staff. We will continue to receive training in conjunction with the Mountain View Police Department, as part of a program called “The Silicon Valley Safe Schools Consortium.”
- In the case of pandemic illness at Saint Francis and/or the need for school closure, we have plans for the continuity of operations and education for our students.
- Every classroom and major office is equipped with telephones and multi-channel walkie-talkies.
- Local authorities have been provided with a database of information specific to our facility at Saint Francis so that they can respond quickly in an emergency.
- Campus Ministry and counseling offices are trained to assist students in crisis situations.
- Visitors to campus are required to check-in at the Main Office.
- Staff members are assigned a rotation of campus supervision during school hours.
- The staff has been educated on their professional and legal responsibilities regarding the students in their care.
- We have an evening patrol to maintain nighttime safety on our campus.
- Each year you fill out School Closure Emergency Release information regarding the transportation of your student from our campus in the event of an emergency.
- Through our Emergency Notification System, we can deliver thousands of emergency alerts via e-mail and voice to our entire parent community in minutes. (We send out a test message to parents each year.)
- In the case of an emergency, our website will be updated with specific information regarding any emergency on campus. We ask that you check the website and wait for an email before you call or come to the campus in the event of an emergency.
- We also have an SFHS Mobile application that you can access. From a web-enabled phone, you can simply go to www.sfhs.com. The SFHS Mobile site will automatically load. Emergency Information is one of the primary links from the main page. That page will be updated as information is available during an emergency.