Angelo Aguiar Endowed Tribute Fund
Angelo A. Aguiar
Born on January 1, 1934, in the Azores, Angelo moved from Portugal to the US in the early days of World War II with his family, and they eventually settled in San Mateo. In 1953, Angelo joined the Marine Corps. He left three years later and enrolled in college, attending San Jose City College and then San Jose State University, where he earned his degree in physical education and health.
It was while he was finishing his college studies that Angelo began his long relationship with Saint Francis High School. First stepping onto campus as a part-time coach, he was one of the first lay employees hired at Saint Francis by the Holy Cross Brothers. Over the years, Angelo served in a variety of positions, including as the athletic director for nearly 30 years. Under his leadership, Lancer teams won 30 WCAL titles and 24 CCS championships, and Angelo helped turn Saint Francis into an athletic powerhouse.
Later he moved into the role of development director. Angelo was extremely skilled in long-range planning and fundraising and oversaw the creation of the school endowment fund. He had a hand in nearly every major capital project on campus, including the stadium complex that bears his name. Saint Francis dedicated the facility to Angelo in 2005 in recognition of his service. In 2011, after a long career as a tireless advocate for the school, Angelo retired from Saint Francis.
To many longtime faculty and staff members at Saint Francis, Angelo was a larger-than-life leader with a huge heart. Employees fondly recall how conversations they had with him often revolved around how Saint Francis should always act in the best interest of its students, whether the discussions were about academics, extracurriculars or the design of a new building. This student-centered philosophy remains at the heart of policy and program development at the school.